Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Starting a business

Starting a new business?

Thinking of starting a business?

One of the major obstacles in the decision to set up a small business and become self-employed is a fear of the hurdles and the regulations associated with 'going it alone', as well as a worry about the viability of the venture. These need not be something to be concerned about if they are tackled in an organised way and if advice and guidance is sought from people who are experienced and trained to help.

Free, independent business advice is available from the South Derbyshire Business Advice Service.

Business Link has help and guidance for a new business start-up.

The council is also committed to providing a wide range of services to local businesses and the community at large. The council's Economic Regeneration service plays a key role in encouraging investment in the area. It is also working to increase the quality and variety of work skills offered to residents, helping them to make the most of new employment and training opportunities as they are created.

Locating your business in South Derbyshire
Where can I find business opportunities within the area?
Can I get any financial support, grants or loans?

Are there any courses that I may find useful?

Learndirect run a number of courses that may be useful to you including IT courses such as word processing, databases and spreadsheets. They also run essential business and management skills courses covering finance, marketing, personnel and health and safety. There are a number of Learndirect centres throughout the region.

HM Revenues and Customs - If you have questions about tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses, this HMRC e-learning course is for you.

Other locally run courses are operated by Burton & South Derbyshire College , Derby College , Stephenson College, Swadlincote Adult Community Education Centre and South Staffordshire College.

What taxes will I have to pay?

Inland Revenue have put information on their website especially for people starting up their own business. There is also a help line run by the Inland Revenue for newly self employed people (tel: 0845 9154 515) which is open from 8am - 8pm.

Where can I get property advice?

Do I need planning permission?

Planning holds a balance between the need for new development and the need to protect the environment and tries to ensure all development is environmentally sustainable. Construction methods also need to comply with the Building Regulations for which there is a separate set of approvals, overseen by Building Control.

Do I need planning permission for starting a business from my home?

Do I need a licence?

Many businesses require a licence. For example, pet shops and places of public entertainment. For appropriate advice and guidance covering all aspects of trading, licensing and public health legislation contact Environmental Health.

What standards do I need to abide by?

Trading standards and consumer services is provided by Derbyshire County Council, contributing to the well-being of the local and business community through its enforcement activities and advisory services. Derbyshire Trading Standards Service will give talks to any business, consumer group, school or any other organisation on the work carried out by the trading standards service in the following areas:

Other subject areas that are not listed can be arranged on request. More information can be found on the Derbyshire Trading Standards website.

Will I need to pay business rates?

For information on business rates use the following links:

Where can I get rid of trade waste?

Commercial waste - this service is available to all commercial and industrial premises in the area.
Pests and nuisance - We also carry out commercial pest control work for local businesses.

How do I recruit staff?

Advice on employing and managing staff for the first time can be found on the websites of GOV.UK and ACAS.

Your local job centre will advise you on recruiting staff and will advertise positions in the local centres free of charge. For more information, advice and to find your local job centre - contact Jobcentreplus. You can also contact the local employment agencies to help recruit permanent or temporary staff although there will be a charge for this. You can also advertise in the local press (Burton Mail).

Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Chamber aims to keep a high level of skills in the East Midlands area, and to provide local companies with a very competitive graduate recruitment service. It will advertise your vacancy through various different sources, and select from its generous database the right candidates that meet your business requirements and fit into the culture of your organisation.

The council is committed to attracting new jobs to the area and works in partnership with other agencies to ensure residents benefit from employment opportunities created. For more information visit the employment and training initiatives webpage.

What is e-business?

e-business relates to businesses utilising new Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) such as email, the world wide web and e-commerce. The following are e-business projects/services on offer in the area:

eBusiness Club is a virtual support network to help businesses make the best use of Information and Communication Technologies to boost their performance. The site includes information, events and advice on topics like web marketing and trading, security, hardware and wireless and mobile working to help take the confusion out of ICT.

The eBusiness Club is designed to help both new start-ups and established businesses, whether new to ICT or expert. The service recognises that not knowing where to go for ICT help in the first place is a major barrier for businesses and so the eBusiness Club website provides information, events and advice including a number of free services to businesses including: Advice, support and guidance from their network of eBusiness Club experts; Access to a reliable list of ICT suppliers; Sharing expertise with other businesses and their specialist network through a forum; Access to regional funding available to help develop your ICT capability; A comprehensive listing of eBusiness events in the East Midlands; and, Updates on 'What’s New in ICT'.

Further information about Broadband for business

Contact details

South Derbyshire District Council
Economic Service
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Telephone: 01283 595755
Fax: 01283 595760 
Online: contact form

Page ref: SDDC 224