Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Support groups and organisations

There are a number of groups and organisations, both local and national, that provide advice and support to different sections of the community. Below are just some of the organisations set up to assist. All links lead to external websites.

Were you looking for...

Resources for voluntary groups


Derbyshire Carers


Childline provides a telephone counselling service for children and young people in danger and distress. Tel: 0800 1111 (24 hour freephone).

NSPCC works to prevent child abuse and neglect. Tel: 0800 800 5000 (24 hour child protection help line).


Crimestoppers provides an anonymous Freephone number for callers who have information about a crime in the UK. Tel: 0800 555111 (freephone).

50+ and Older People

The Swadlincote District 50+ Forum is a voluntary group who collect and disperse information throughout South Derbyshire, working closely with the anti-social behaviour team, police, council and local hospitals.

Age Concern is the UK's leading charities concerned with the needs and aspirations of older people. Tel: 0800 009966 (freephone help line).

Alzheimer's Society provides advice and support to people with dementia and their carers.

Carers is useful for carers, voluntary organisations and others, related to the national strategy for Caring about Carers, and providing useful links.

Contact the Elderly seeks to reduce the isolation for older people who live alone, by providing social occasions such as monthly tea parties.

Dementia Research Group is one of the UK's leading centres for clinical research into dementia.

Age UK is a leading national charity for older people.

Independent Age helps older people on low incomes to live with dignity and peace of mind

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender

Derbyshire Friend is a voluntary agency offering free confidential advice, information and supportive listening for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and trans gender people, including their families and friends.

Disabled people

AbilityNet are a charity that offers advice to people with disabilities on all aspects of computer usage for employment, communication, education, or just for fun.

Disability Sport England creates opportunities for participation in sport for people with all disabilities.

National Epilepsy Society has a wide range of information about living with epilepsy and high quality social and health care. National help line tel: 01494 601400

Epilepsy Action (British Epilepsy Association) help line provides advice and information on all aspects of living with epilepsy. They aim to reply to help line queries by email within 48 hours.

The National Deaf Children's Society (NDCS) is an organisation of parents, families and carers which exists to support parents in enabling their child to maximise their skills and abilities.

Headway promotes understanding of all aspects of brain injury and provides information, support and services to people with a brain injury, their family and carers.

Keep Able provides mobility and lifestyle ideas.

MENCAP works with people with a learning disability, and their families and carers.

MIND provides services for people with mental health problems. Tel: 0845 766 0163 (National Help Line).

Rethink helping everyone affected by severe mental illness, including schizophrenia, to recover a better quality of life.

National Society for Epilepsy (NSE) is the largest UK medical charity for epilepsy. The website offers information about epilepsy and about the NSE, frequently asked questions, personal accounts of living with epilepsy, a message board and more.

Royal Association in Aid of Deaf People (RAD) strives to meet the individual needs of deaf children and adults and deaf blind people through the provision of services and the use of RAD Centres for Deaf People.

If you need to register as blind, contact Royal National Institute of the Blind (RNIB)

Scope helps people with cerebral palsy to achieve equality in society.

SeeAbility (Royal School for the Blind) works with adults who are blind or partially sighted, and have a range of additional disabilities. The charity works to encourage people's independence and to enhance their quality of life. They are also involved in research projects and training courses for professionals who work with people who are blind or partially sighted.

Marriage and divorce

The Citizens Advice Bureau provides free assistance to those of all walks of life facing divorce. Can also be contacted on a national freephone help line tel: 01283 210109.


Shelter Charity Providing advice and assistance to people in housing need. Tel: 0808 800 4444 (freephone help line).

General advice

South Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau provides free and confidential advice through local offices. Tel: 01283 210109.

The Samaritans provides 24 hour support for people feeling depressed, isolated or in despair. Tel: 08457 909090.

Counselling Directory enables those in distress to find a counsellor close to them and appropriate for their needs.

Page ref: LGSL 297