Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Anti-social behaviour

Help and advice with issues such as graffiti, vandalism, verbal abuse, fly-tipping, dog fouling, litter and noise.

Tackling antisocial behaviour logo

What is anti-social behaviour (ASB)?

It may include:

  • Noise
  • Verbal abuse
  • Intimidating gatherings of young people in public places
  • Use and abuse of drugs and solvents
  • Drunkenness
  • Prostitution
  • Harassment
  • Throwing missiles
  • Climbing into/onto property
  • Banging on doors and windows
  • Inappropriate use of motor vehicles
  • Litter and fly tipping 
  • Graffiti

How do I report anti-social behaviour?

Call Derbyshire Police on Tel: 101 about:

  • Criminal damage
  • Verbal or physical abuse
  • People causing a nuisance or being rowdy in public places
  • Street drinking, underage drinking or being drunk in public
  • Nuisance motorbikes
  • Harassment including incidents due to race, sexual
    orientation, gender, religion, disability or age

In an emergency always dial 999

Call the ASB Helpline on 01283 595795 about:

  • Noise nuisance
  • Disputes with your neighbour
  • Environmental issues including fly tipping, graffiti, abandoned vehicles, dog fouling, litter, fly posting and discarded needles

The Safer South Derbyshire Partnership has an anti-social behaviour reporting helpline. The helpline operates from 8.45am to 5pm Mondays, Tuesdays Thursdays, between 9.30am and 5pm on Wednesdays and from 8.45am to 4.30pm on Fridays. We also have an online form. Outside these hours, you can ring the non-emergency police number on Tel: 101 if you feel you cannot wait for the Anti-Social Behaviour line to open.

To give anonymous information about a crime, or anti-social behaviour call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Frequently asked questions

Q: What if kids are gathering near my house, but not really doing much?
A: Ask yourself – are they really doing any harm? If the answer is no, leave them be!

Q: What if youths are continually causing problems in our street?
A: Keep a diary for a week or two, detailing exactly what's happening; then speak to your local Safer Neighbourhood Team. 

Q: What if I see kids drinking alcohol and being stupid as a result?
A: The police have powers to confiscate alcohol from under-age drinkers.

Q: What if I see damage being done, but don't know who the offender is?
A: Call the police immediately. Be prepared to give a description and a statement, if necessary.

Q: What if I go out to speak to them and they get nasty and verbally abusive?
A: DON'T be confrontational! Speak to the parents or the police.

Q: What if I'm a council or housing association tenant and the problem is with my neighbours' kids?
A: Speak to your housing officer as action may be taken under the Tenancy Agreement.

Q: What if the problems I'm experiencing are a nuisance but do not involve kids?
A: The law in relation to anti-social behaviour and harassment applies to all ages.

Q: What if I've got kids playing in the street on bikes or with balls, and they annoy me?
A: The Highways Act (1980) states that "if a person plays at football or any other game on a highway to the annoyance of a user of the highway he is guilty of an offence."  It should be noted that the nuisance must be to highway users not adjacent householders.

Q: What if it gets to the stage where everyone is sick of it and we want to provide something for the young people?
A : Speak to your parish or district council (find out more about contacting us below) about setting up a Community Action Group to lobby for youth provision in your area.

I'm a victim /witness - where can I get help?

If you feel unable to change things or afraid of what might happen if you try, Victim Support Derbyshire can help. They provide confidential, emotional and practical support. The service is free, confidential and independent of the police and courts.

Where can I get more information?

  • Youth Service - 01283 210344
  • South Derbyshire District Council ASB Helpline - 01283 595795
  • Derbyshire Police - 0845 123 3333
  • Childline - 0800 1111
  • Youth Information Shop - 01283 217666

So what can happen if you behave anti-socially?

  • STEP ONE - Nuisance/Warning Letter
The police or council can send a letter home to you or your parents/carers informing them of the type of behaviour you have been involved in.
  • STEP TWO - Acceptable Behaviour Contract
If you continue to be anti-social the police or council can suggest an Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC). This is an agreement between you and the agency setting out a list of things you agree not to do. Other agencies can become involved to support you, like Connexions, Social Services or the Youth Service. This is voluntary, but if you break the contract the police or council may consider an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO).

  • STEP THREE - Anti-Social Behaviour Order

All of the information gathered in steps one and two can be used as evidence by the police or council, to apply to the court for an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) to be served on you. You will be told this is happening and will be given a date when you have to attend court, where all the evidence will be heard.

If the court decide your behaviour is serious enough, you will be given strict rules you MUST stick to. If you break the rules and breach the order this is a criminal offence, and you could go to prison for up to two years (longer if you’re over 18 years old!).

Note that if a person’s behaviour is serious enough steps one and two can be bypassed.

Contact details

ASB Helpline: 01283 595795
Online: Anti-social behaviour report form