Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Marriages & civil partnerships

It is important to contact the register office of your choice as soon as you have decided on a date to avoid disappointment.

The General Register Office (GRO) publishes an online guide to getting married. The website covers where you can get married, details on the residential and other legal requirements for marriage, and what you need to do if you discover an error on your marriage certificate.

If you are looking for a copy of your marriage certificate, this can be ordered online or through the register office or religious building where the marriage took place. The General Register Office holds a central copy of all registrations for England and Wales. Local Register Offices also hold records of events registered in their area.

Registration of marriages/civil partnerships

Staff at the register office will make a provisional booking and discuss the legal requirements that must be complied with before you can marry.  Staff can also provide details of venues within the district which includes the Register Office in Swadlincote and the Town Hall on the Delph. Alternatively you can search for a registered venue using the GOV.UK website.

South Derbyshire Register Office
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01629 533985 - Ask for Linda Taylor, Superintendant Registrar
Opening Times: Monday-Friday 9.00am-2.00pm

This service is strictly by appointment only.


Page ref: LGCL 152 and LGCL 3336