Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Household waste - special collections for large / bulky items

We provide a collection for large items, for example some furniture or a fridge, that you would take with you if you were moving house.

We will collect up to six household items on two separate collections in a year. Items are normally collected on a Wednesday. The collection needs to be booked and paid for in advance. Payments must be received before 2pm on the Monday before the collection day. For FAQ please see below.

How much does it cost?

The Standard Bulky Charge is 25 per collection.

CFC (fridge / freezer) charge is 21 per collection.


  • If the collection is for up to two fridges / freezers the charge will be 21.
  • For a mixed collection which includes furniture and up to two fridges / freezers the charge will be 25 plus 21.

Fridges and freezers will only be collected if they are empty of food. Any contaminated items will not be removed.

To book a bulky waste collection, please contact Customer Services on (01283) 595 795.

Please note:

  • items should be available outside of the property for collection from 7am to 5pm
  • only items listed at the time of booking will be collected
  • a carpet must be rolled, tied and of a size manageable by two people
  • the carpet underlay is a separate item
  • a three piece suite is one item
  • one wardrobe does not include a full bedroom suite
  • items should not be filled with other rubbish
  • items must be easily accessible from one point on the property.

We regret that the following items cannot be collected under the Bulky Waste Service:

  • loose waste
  • gas bottles
  • sheds
  • greenhouses
  • bags of rubble
  • fence panels
  • concrete posts
  • car / motorbike parts
  • garage doors / window frames
  • Christmas trees 
  • garden waste e.g. trees
  • asbestos
  • fluid containers e.g. drums
  • gates
  • wire fencing and fire surrounds
  • general builders waste
  • doors.

However, we may be able to provide a separate service for most of the items listed above for a charge. Please call us on 01283 595795 to check.

Alternatively, you can take your household rubbish or items to the Civic Amenity Site at Park Road in Newhall. Please call 08456 058 058 for further details.

Bulky waste FAQs

Is there a recycling scheme for furniture ?

Yes, please book a bulky collection in the usual way and the item will be re-used if possible, via the YMCA Happy Homes scheme. Read more about the furniture re-use scheme

What day are collections made?

Bulky and CFC collections are made each Wednesday (except over the Christmas / New Year period) between 7am and 5pm.

How do I arrange a collection?

Contact the Customer Service Team on 01283 595 795.

There are three options of payment as follows:

  • Debit or Credit Card payments can be made over the telephone by calling 01283 595 795.
  • Cheques/Postal Orders should be made payable to 'South Derbyshire District Council' and sent to:
    • 'Bulky Collection'
      Cash Office
      South Derbyshire District Council
      Civic Offices
      Civic Way
      DE11 0AH
  • You can make a cash payment by visiting the council offices directly. The opening hours are shown in the contact details section.

Please note: Payments must be received by 2pm on a Monday for a collection during the same week.

Contact details

South Derbyshire District Council
Environmental Services
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Opening Hours
8.45am - 5pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
9.30am - 5pm Wednesday
8.45am - 4.30pm Friday

Tel: 01283 595795

Page ref: LGSL 528

How helpful was this page?   Helpful  Neither helpful nor unhelpful  Not helpful