Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Adapting homes

If you live in South Derbyshire and you are having problems managing in your home because you have a disability, help is available.

What sort of help can I get?

There are several minor adaptations, such as grab rails, stair rails and lever taps that can be fitted to help you around your home.

If you rent your property from us you can request certain minor adaptations directly. If you own your home or rent from a private landlord, you will need to contact Social Services on 01283 230400.

For more major adaptations, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help pay for works such as installing a stairlift, widening doorways, installing ramps and installing a level access shower.

If your present home cannot be reasonably adapted to meet your needs, you may wish to consider moving to a more suitable property and a Disabled Relocation Grant may be available to help with the costs involved.

Contact details

For general information and advice about adapting your home, please contact:

Private Sector Housing
Environmental Health Department
South Derbyshire District Council
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 595719
Fax: 01283 595855
Online: contact form

Page ref: SDDC 319

Also on our website

  • South Derbyshire Careline