Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Decent homes standard

The Government believes that everyone should have the opportunity of a decent home and has introduced a minimum standard called the Decent Home Standard.

They have also introduced a target "to bring all social housing and the majority of private housing, occupied by vulnerable household into a decent condition by 2010".

Hazardous defect

What is a Decent Home?

A Decent Home is one which:

  • Meets the statutory minimum standard for housing
    • it is free from defects and hazards which might affect the health and safety of the occupants.
  • Is in a reasonable state of repair
    • A property will fail if one or more KEY building components need replacing or major repair or
    • two or more other components need replacing or major repair (Key Components include external walls, roofs, windows, doors, chimneys, boilers and electrical wiring)
  • Has reasonably modern facilities and services. The property will fail if it lacks 3 or more of the following:
    • A reasonably modern kitchen (20 years old or less) 
    • A kitchen with adequate space and layout 
    • A reasonably modern bathroom (30 years old or less)
    • An appropriately located bathroom and WC 
    • Adequate insulation against external noise
  • Provides a reasonable degree of thermal comfort
    • The property must have efficient heating (A gas/oil/LPG or solid fuel programmable central heating system or electric storage heaters) and
    • effective insulation ( for gas or oil programmable central heating a minimum of 50mm loft insulation for other heating a minimum of 200mm loft insulation)

Is there any help available to make my home decent?

The Home Repair Assistance Plus Scheme aims to bring homes occupied by vulnerable private sector households up to the Decent Homes Standard.

List of benefits that qualify for Home Repair Assistance Plus Grant

If you or someone in your household receives one or more of the following benefits, you can apply for a grant under the Home Repair Assistance Plus Scheme.

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Disabled Persons Tax Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • War Disablement Pension
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Working Families Tax Credit
  • With A Disability Element (Household Income Below 14,600)
  • Child Tax Credit (Household Income Below 14,600)

Contact details

Private Sector Housing
Environmental Health Department
South Derbyshire District Council
Civic Offices
Civic Way
Derbyshire DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 595719
Fax: 01283 595855
Online: contact form

Page ref: SDDC 100