Building regulations approval and guidance
Most building work will require building regulations permission. It must be applied for separately from planning permission.
There are three ways to apply for building regulations permission:
- Full Plans Application - this consists of submitting detailed drawings and full construction specification which will be checked by a surveyor for compliance before works start. This type of application can be used for any works, but must always be used for commercial premises and for extensions being built close to public drainage sewers (except where there is a licence or letter from the water authority confirming their approval to build over a sewer).
- Building Notice Application - more commonly used and generally suitable for small and less complicated works where ‘approval’ of drawings/plans is not required. This usually covers replacement roofs and windows, removal of walls/chimney breasts and electrical work.
- Regularisation Application - these are retrospective applications for work done without the necessary building regulations permission being gained (only for works undertaken after November 11, 1985).
The LABC, which represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales, provides guidance on applying for approval as well as the latest online technical guidance for building regulations.
There are also some exemptions from building regulations.
Alternatively, you can fill out the following manually and return them to us:
- Building notice (pdf, 413kb)
- Full plans application (pdf, 424kb) Our information sheet (pdf, 246kb) explains the differences between a building notice and a full plans application
- Regularisation application (pdf, 408kb)
- Replacement windows and doors (pdf, 190kb)
You can also speak to one of our Building Control team who can complete an application form over the telephone and take your payment. Our Building Control area map (pdf, 555kb) details the officer responsible for your area.
When it comes to improving your dream home you need information you can rely on.
Here’s our expert guide (pdf, 23.5mb) to ensure you’re in the know when extending your home.