Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

How to apply for building regulations permission

There are three ways to make an application for Building Regulations; a Full Plans Application, a Building Notice or a Regularisation.

Building control leaflets

All three of these applications can be made electronically through this website. Make an application

Full Plans Application

A Full Plans application consists of submitting detailed drawings and full construction specification which will be checked by a surveyor for compliance with the regulations before works commence. Any changes needed will be communicated to you or your agent. A formal decision is given on the application which will be an Approval or Conditional Approval. 

There are rare occasions when a rejection has to be issued but this is usually when third party approval is required i.e. a Build Over Agreement from the Sewerage Underaker.  If an application has to be rejected then we work closely with you or your agent to get the application approved. 

A Full Plans application can be used for any works. However; some projects always require this type of application. These are:

  • All work on commercial premises.
  • Extensions being built close to public drainage sewers – except where there is a licence or letter from the Water Authority confirming their approval to build over a sewer (a copy of the licence or letter must be submitted with the Building Notice application).

Building Notice Application

A Building Notice application is more commonly used and generally suitable for small and less complicated works where ‘approval’ of drawing/plans is not required and where the person doing the work is confident in complying with the building regulations without the need for approved details. Typically this would cover such work as:

  • a replacement roof
  • removal of walls/chimney breasts
  • replacement of windows
  • electrical works.

This list is not exhaustive. If in doubt, please contact us.

A Building Notice is required 48 hours before work commences and the total fee is required when the application is made.

The similarities

The total fees payable are the same. While there is no plan checking fee (as there are no plans to formally check) with a building notice it is acknowledged that more time results on site discussing and agreeing issues, due to the lack of approved details./p>

A Full Plans approval and a Building Notice both expire three years after being submitted unless work has substantially started on site.

The differences

As there is no formal plan check carried out on a Building Notice, additional information may be requested at any time by the surveyor to help support your application for example, structural calculations

Regularisation Application

A Regularisation Application can be made for work that was carried out without initially applying for building regulation permission when it should have been.

(It is only for works undertaken after 11 November 1985)

If an application was not made at the time for work that required Building Regulations approval, it may be possible to ‘regularise’ the works and obtain a Regularisation Certificate. You should submit a Regularisation application and appropriate fee and when it is acknowledged, contact your Building Control Surveyor to arrange a site visit. The site visit is required to assess what further information is required and to determine exactly what will need further inspection. This may still involve the need to ‘open up’ work, for example, ‘exposing’ supports to steel beams, electrical cable runs, etc. by removing plaster.

Fees and charges

South Derbyshire Building Control are non-profit making, unlike private Building Control bodies.  The fee you pay covers the costs involved with registering, approving, inspecting and issuing the final paperwork for your building work.

You pay the charge when you make your Building Regulation application. It costs the same whichever method you use.

In most cases the Full Plans charge is divided into two. The first part - the plan charge - is paid when you deposit your plans with the Council. The money goes towards the cost of checking that the plans are up to standard. The second part - the inspection charge - is paid after the first inspection (we will send an invoice to the owner). This money goes towards the cost of inspecting the work on site.

The Building Notice charge is a single sum. There is no plan charge element because we don't formally check any plans for approval purposes. The full amount goes towards inspecting the site. This is because the Building Control Surveyor spends more time discussing and inspecting the proposed work because there are no approved details.

Charges for building work not covered by our guidance leaflet are available on request.

Please make cheques payable to "South Derbyshire District Council"


Once you have commenced work you will need to contact your surveyor to arrange inspection.  Find out more about requesting a site inspection.

Please note: Planning permission may be required for some types of building works and you should always contact the Planning Department for advice before you start any work.

Contact details

South Derbyshire District Council
Building Control Services
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 228757
Fax: 01283 595850
Online: contact form

Page ref: SDDC 63