Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Do I need building regulations permission?

Most building work will require building regulations permission. This is a different requirement from planning permission, and must be applied for separately.
Interactive House

Special rules also apply to Listed Buildings and buildings in Conservation Areas.

How does the system work?

Firstly, a valid application must be made, or if the work is solely of a specialist nature the work may be by self-certification by an individual or company under the Competent Person Scheme. (e.g. electrical installation work, gas installation work, window installation work)

If a ‘competent person’ is carrying out your work then the local authority will eventually be notified of the work carried out by the individual or company by their licensing body after they register it. 

Below is a list of where permission is required and not required.

For a visual exploration, please use this link to view the interactive house (Screenshot shown above.) or the interactive terrace.

Permission is required for:

  • Construction of new buildings, such as dwellings, shops, offices, factories, and all other major buildings.
  • Most extensions to buildings, with the exception of porches or conservatories (see below).
  • Structural alterations, such as removing a load-bearing wall.
  • Installation of heating, hot water and air conditioning systems.
  • Installing additional bathroom fittings
  • Domestic electrical installations.
  • Alterations to drainage systems.
  • Re-roofing.
  • Replacing windows, doors or rooflights.
  • Underpinning a building
  • Renovating a thermal element e.g. walls, floors and roofs.
  • Changing the energy status of a building
  • Changing the use of a building e.g. barn conversions

Permission is not required for:

  • Detached buildings with a floor area not exceeding 30m2, which do not contain sleeping accommodation, and are located at least one metre away from the boundary of the property, or are made out of mostly non-combustible materials.
  • Porches or conservatories with a floor area not exceeding 30m2.
  • Carports open on at least two sides.
  • Covered walkways.
  • Most agricultural buildings, if they are away from houses and have a good means of escape in case of fire.
  • Temporary buildings that are not intended to remain in place for more than 28 days.

However, for domestic work, even if a building is exempt from Building Regulations Approval, you may still need to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations, which covers electrical safety.

Exemptions from Building Regulations (link to the Planning Portal)


How to Apply for Building Regulations Approval

Contact details

South Derbyshire District Council
Building Control Services
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 228757
Fax: 01283 595850
Online: contact form

Page ref: SDDC 62