Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Making a complaint about an unauthorised development

Alleged unauthorised development.

The planning system regulates the development and use of land in the public interest under powers conferred by the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. The District Council, acting as the Local Planning Authority, has a duty to operate the legislation except for certain types of development that are the responsibility of Derbyshire County Council, for example mineral extraction.

Development that takes place without the necessary planning permission or consent, or is in breach of conditions attached to planning permissions may be the subject of enforcement action. Depending on the nature of the breach the Council may respond by serving an Enforcement Notice or taking proceedings in the Magistrates' Court. Full details of the Council's commitment to the enforcement of planning legislation can be found in the adopted policy statement Local Enforcement Plan 2013, below.

Certain development works and uses are permitted development through Government Legislation that is in place. Where this is not the case a breach of planning control may have occurred, whereby a retrospective planning application may be required to remedy the situation. Unfortunately officers are unable to gives answers to the question of whether or not a breach of planning control is occurring unless a complaint is logged, allowing any necessary investigation to be made.

If you wish to make a complaint about what you believe may be works that are not permitted development and for which no planning permission has been granted (including advertisements) or a suspected breach of a condition attached to a planning permission or the untidy condition of land, please do so via the online complaint form or in writing to:

South Derbyshire District Council
Development Management and Building Control
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH 

Tel: 01283 228706
Online: Complaint form

Prioritisation of complaints is detailed in the adopted policy statement. In the case of Category A Top Priority complaints, we aim to carry out an initial assessment within 24 hours, however all other complaints will take longer.

Your complaint will be treated in confidence. Whichever method you choose to use to contact us, all complaints must include your name and an address that we can use to reply to you. Anonymous complaints will not normally be processed.

Page ref: SDDC 187

Related documents

The following document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)