Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Planning applications

I want to carry out work to my property - what do I need to do?

Before you carry out any building work to your property, you need to find out whether you need building regulations permission and / or planning permission.

You may need:

  • planning permission or
  • building regulations permission or
  • both.

What is the difference between planning permission and building regulations permission?

Building regulations permission is entirely separate from planning permission. Planning permission does not give you building regulations permission (nor does building regulations permission give you planning permission).

It is your responsibility to find out what permissions you need. If you are in any doubt, please ask us. We are here to offer free guidance. Visit the Building Control pages

Planning permission 

Development is building new structures, or modification of existing ones, and changing the use of buildings or land. We are responsible for managing development in the public interest. This is separate from control under the Building Regulations that govern structural matters and other issues like access for the disabled and energy conservation.

Development control is the process of reviewing planning applications submitted by development companies, homeowners or businesses. The decision will normally be made in accordance with the development plan, central government guidance and advice, and any other 'material considerations'. If the application is successful, planning permission will be granted and the development may go ahead.

Planning officers will make about 90 per cent of decisions themselves, with powers delegated to them by the Planning Committee of Councillors. Some of the more controversial or larger developments will be dealt with by the committee directly.

What do you want to do?

Contact details

South Derbyshire District Council
Planning Services
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 228706
Online: contact form

Page ref: LGSL 608