Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Do I need planning permission? (business)

The construction of new buildings nearly always needs planning permission. Major alterations to existing buildings will also need permission. Since the rules are complicated, please contact us to see if your proposal requires permission.

It's now easier to submit your application online. Find out how.

If you find you do need planning permission we would encourage you to talk to us first before submitting your application. For this we offer an appointment system through the council's main reception (contact details are at the bottom of the page). More pre-application advice.

Note that extra restrictions apply to listed buildings and some buildings in conservation areas. You may also require Building Regulations Approval, which must be applied for separately.

Do I need planning permission for starting a business from my home?

You don't necessarily need planning permission to work from home. You may need planning permission if you answer yes to any of these questions:

  • Is more than one room in your house being used for business purposes?
  • Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
  • Will there be anyone employed working at your home who does not normally live there?
  • Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?

Planning permission is unlikely to be needed if the householder is working alone in a study or spare room and there are no deliveries.

If you are thinking of running a business from home, please contact us for advice. (Contact details are at the bottom of the page). If you are a council tenant, please also read Running a Business From Your Council Home

Supplementary planning guidance

Further detailed information is available in this government produced booklet (including advice about changing the use of land and premises):

Planning Permission - a guide for business

Designing Out Crime

For crime prevention advice you can contact the Derbyshire Police Crime Prevention Design Adviser (contact details in the document in the related documents section). We have signed up to the Derbyshire 'Designing out crime' Protocol.

Contact details

South Derbyshire District Council
Planning Services
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 228706
Online: contact form

Page ref: LGSL 485, 487b

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

The following document is in Word format. You can download software to view Word documents for free from the Word viewer page (opens in a new window) of the Microsoft website.