Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction

Housing Benefit helps people with their rent, which is what you pay your private or social landlord to live in your home. Council Tax reduction helps people pay Council Tax, which goes towards vital local services we all depend on.

You can claim if:

  • you are on Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or Pension Credits
  • you are on a low income (this includes people who are self-employed)
The amount of Benefit paid depends on your personal circumstances, your income, savings you may have and the rent/Council Tax that you pay

We will offer guidance and support through our online process. You can also use our calculator to see if you could be entitled to Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction.

Once your claim has been received and processed, you will receive a letter explaining what you are entitled to and how it has been worked out. If you pay Council Tax you will also receive an amended Council Tax bill.

Submit a claim
Alternatively, you can email benefits@south-derbys.gov.uk or telephone 01283 595795.

You can sign in to/register for a personalised Benefits account to see your award, details we currently hold on your claim, copies of correspondence we have sent you as well as information about payments. 

If you claim Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance you can claim through Jobcentre Plus.

If you are making a claim for pension credits you can claim Housing Benefit at the same time with the Pension Service.