Universal Credit

Universal Credit will eventually be the main income-related Benefit paid to working age people.

Universal Credit replaces:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

It combines these Benefits into a single, monthly payment.

The Government will decide when Universal Credit is rolled out to working age people in your area of South Derbyshire.

How do I apply for Universal Credit?

You must apply online by visiting the Universal Credit website.

Apply for Universal Credit

There’s a range of locations across the District where you can use a computer and access the Internet to make a claim. A list of locations which offer free Wi-Fi can be found on this digital map produced by Citizens Advice South Derbyshire and City.

Help with making a claim and managing your money

Personal budgeting support may be available to you after you have made your claim. Please speak to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for further information.

The Council and libraries across the District may also offer limited support to help you make your claim.

Help to make a claim is provided by the Council by appointment only. Please contact our Customer Services team on 01283 595795.

Further information

You can find out more about Universal Credit by:

Phoning the Universal Credit helpline: 0800 328 5644.
Reading our Frequently Asked Questions. (pdf, 220kb)