Apply for a house
We allocate all our properties through a choice-based lettings service called South Derbyshire Homefinder. This service advertises Council and registered provider properties to rent in South Derbyshire.
How to apply
You are eligible to register if you have a local connection to South Derbyshire. You must have:
- lived in South Derbyshire for six out of the last 12 months or three out of the last five years, or
- worked permanently in South Derbyshire prior to the application, for a period of six months or longer, or
- an immediate family member with whom you are in close contact living in South Derbyshire who meets the local connection criteria.
Other criteria will also be considered; contact us for further information. The exception to the local connection rule is current or former members (discharged in the last five years) of the UK Armed Forces.
To apply for a Council property, follow the steps outlined below:
- You will need to print and complete Section A of the Landlord Reference Form. (docx, 78kb) Your landlord will need to complete Section B and return this form via the post to the Housing Options Team, South Derbyshire District Council.
- You will need to complete our online declaration form which includes questions regarding medical priority (should you need to move on medical grounds).
- You will now need to submit your housing application with Homefinder. To do this you must first register with Homefinder. Once you have registered on Homefinder you will then need to use your registration details to log in into Homefinder and complete your application form online.
Once we have assessed your Homefinder application we will write to you to tell you your application is active. The letter will tell you which band you are in, your login reference number and how to bid on properties.
Search and bid
You can only bid for a property on the South Derbyshire Homefinder website using your Homefinder login details when you have an active application.