Home contents insurance

Many of our tenants believe that their furniture, belongings and decorations are insured against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes, by us. This is not the case.

We strongly advise that tenants take out household contents insurance in some form themselves

Our own scheme, provided by Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance plc, allows you to take out different levels of insurance, with cover starting at less than £1 per week.

Benefits include:

  • Low minimum sums insured
  • Easy payment weekly with your rent
  • No excess
  • Cover for most household items including TV, video, DVD players (even if rented)

Extra cover

The amount of cover has been increased to £30,000. For only a small extra charge on top of your existing premium you can now be covered for accidental damage to contact lenses, food, drink, plants, clothing and sporting equipment.

On top of this we now also offer three new extensions for an additional premium - you can have your personal belongings, wheelchair and even hearing aids protected. 

Contact us if you'd like an informal chat about the scheme or an application form sending.

Alternatively, you can download an insurance application (pdf, 489kb) and email it to housing.services@south-derbys.gov.uk or return it to us in the post.

Making a claim

If you have taken out insurance cover under our Home Contents Insurance Scheme and wish to make a claim, contact Direct Group on 08456 718171, who will be able to take the details of your claim over the telephone.