Riding establishment licence

These licences are required under the Riding Establishments Act 1964.

Anyone keeping a riding establishment requires a licence that is issued by their local Council. The definition of a riding establishment is 'a business of keeping horses for either riding or hire, the instruction/guidance of a qualified instructor for the return of payment.'

Veterinary surgeons, police forces and zoos do not require this licence. Licences are issued subject to conditions covering the welfare of the horses.

There is a fee for the annual licence which is issued following a satisfactory inspection by a veterinary surgeon.

We expect all licensed riding establishments to comply with health and safety regulations and health and safety in horse riding establishments guidelines.