Gambling premises licence

The Gambling Act 2005 governs the provision of all gambling in Great Britain except the National Lottery and spread betting.

The Gambling Commission regulates the gambling industry and local authorities are responsible for issuing premises licences, permits and other required authorisations.

The act created three objectives:

  1. To prevent crime and disorder.
  2. To ensure gambling was conducted in a fair and open way.
  3. To protect children and vulnerable persons from harm.

The major areas of gambling covered are:

  • Casinos
  • Track betting
  • Betting shops
  • Gaming machines
  • Bingo
  • Prize gaming
  • Lotteries.

Our main responsibilities under the Act are:

  • Issuing premises licences for gambling activities
  • Consideration of notices given for the temporary use of premises for gambling
  • Granting permits for gaming and gaming machines in clubs and miners’ welfare institutes
  • Regulating gaming and gaming machines in alcohol licensed premises
  • Granting permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines
  • Granting permits for prize gaming
  • Considering occasional use notices for betting at tracks
  • Registering small societies’ lotteries.

Premises licences may authorise the provision of gambling facilities on:

  • Casino premises
  • Bingo premises
  • Betting premises, including tracks
  • Adult gaming centres
  • Licensed family entertainment centres.
  • Application process
    Complete the grant premises licence application form. (pdf, 24kb) Your application must be accompanied by the relevant fee and a scale plan of the premises.

    You must publish a notice (dot, 41kb) in a local newspaper within 10 working days starting the day after the application is submitted to us. A copy of the newspaper is required before the licence can be issued.

    Notice must be displayed on the premises for a period of no less than 28 days starting on the day on which the application is made to us. A copy of your application must be sent to the responsible authorities. (doc, 33kb)
  • Variation or transfer
    Once granted, a licence may be transferred (doc, 219kb) or varied. (dot, 175kb)