Renew a private hire operator's licence
All licence holders will be sent a reminder letter to the registered address held on their file two months before their licence expires.
To renew your private hire operator’s licence, you will need to submit the following to us:
- Private hire operator's renewal application form (pdf, 133kb)
- Appropriate fee
- Basic DBS criminal record certificate (if not licensed as a private hire driver)
- Right to work documentation, such as a passport or biometric residence permit
- Employers liability insurance (if applicable)
- Public liability insurance (if applicable)
- Current tariff (if any vehicles will have a meter).
To avoid any interruption to your business, you are advised to submit your application as soon as you receive the reminder letter.
If granted, a private hire operator’s licence will be valid for five years.
Although reminder letters will be sent to the licence holder to help avoid potential issues, it is the responsibility of the licence holder to ensure that all documents are kept up to date and that the renewal application is submitted on time. An operator will still be able to take private hire bookings whilst the renewal application is being determined, as long as their current licence is in force. If the private hire operator licence has expired and the renewal application has not been determined, the applicant is not permitted to act as a private hire operator until in possession of the new licence.